On Dec. 28th, 1899, the remains of the sailors who went down with the "Maine" in the harbor of Havana were laid to rest in the National cemetery at Arlington. Upon arrival of the funeral train, the 151 coffins were placed in army wagons and carried to the cemetery. President McKinley was accompanied by Secretary Long and by Capt. Sigsbee of the Texas, captain of the "maine" at the time of her destruction. They were followed by Chaplain Clark, of the Naval Academy, and a detachment of blue jackets from the navy yard under Lieut. Gise, U. S. N., escorting the fifteen sailors of the Texas who had convoyed the bodies from Newport News to Arlington. A detachment of marines, under Lieut. Bates, and one from the Marine Barracks, under Col. Harrington, accompanied by the Marine Band and troops of cavalry from Fort Myer, made a cordon around the graves. Among those on the stand were Assistant Secretary Allen, Commander Wainwright, Admiral Dewey, Secretary Root, Secretary Gage, Postmaster General Smith, General Miles, General Gilmore, Colonel Michi, and others. Upon the arrival of the President the Marine Band began a dirge, and when the presidential party had taken their seats Chaplain Clark stepped forward to a little shelter near the graves and read the Episcopal burial service. Chaplain Chadwick, formerly of the "Maine," then conducted the Catholic service, assisted by Fathers Holland and Bonner. Three volleys were then fired by the marines, "taps" sounded, and the crowd dispersed.